Hi,

I would like to ask about the synchronisation of assignees and mentions.

We have two Jira instances synchronised with Exalate.
Instance A is the internal Jira.
Instance B is for customers.

We managed to synchronise the assignees and mentions in our Sandbox connection of the issues if the user exists on both instances.

Is it possible to assign an issue or to mention some in a comment who has only a user in of the instances?
For example with user ID or e-mail address.

For example: in instance A I write a comment and mention eg. Peter (the customer) on an issue who only has an account in instance B?
I would like to mention Peter on an issue, but I don’t want to let Peter’s user into our internal Jira (instance A). Instance B is for customers.

Thanks for the help.

CommentAdd your comment...

3 answers

Hi Majid,

thanks for the help and for the ideas!

We think it over with the other admins.

Best regards,

Richard

1. Syed Majid Hassan

Very welcome Richard K  !

Good luck

Hi Majid,

may this (Jira Cloud Jira OnPrem: Syncing User Mentions across the systems) solution work between two cloud instances?

Peter has an account in instance B with his e-mail address (eg peter@example.com).
      If in instance A in a comment we type "@peter@example.com" as a "mention" exalate can transfer this mention and show it in the comment in instance B?

Instance A comment looks like:
      Dear @petersmith@example.com do you get this mention?

→ Instance B comment looks like after sync:
      Dear '@'Peter Smith do you get his mention?

Am I right?

Thanks,

Richard

1. Syed Majid Hassan

So the code in the post will need to be adapted a little bit, considering both sides are cloud, but you already have Incoming and Outgoing Cloud code on that post. You can start from there. 

And yes, this is the end result I expect i.e.:
        Instance A comment looks like:
        Dear @petersmith@example.com do you get this mention?

→ Instance B comment looks like after sync:
        Dear '@'Peter Smith do you get his mention?

You might have to modify the regular expression in the Incoming code a little though. My suggestion is to start with the code present in the post and once you get that working (for a user who has Jira accounts on both ends), then proceed to find tune it to your exact use case. 

Thanks

Majid

HI Richard,

A good starting point on the subject is here: Jira Cloud Jira OnPrem: Syncing User Mentions across the systems

But my question is how would you mention Peter in your internal Jira if he does not have an account. You cannot mention him in the default way. So, you must put in some sort of a code (or something else) to identifiy the mention, or maybe you could use '@' followed by Peter's email in Internal Jira, but this would not render as a normal mention. Exalate can then pick this up and transport it to the other side. On the receiving end, you can use a regular expression (examples in the linked post) to extract that mention, search the user on the remote system and convert it to a proper mention there. Tricky, but should be doable I think!

Hope it gives you some ideas!

Thanks

Majid