Hi,

currently we have a Jira instance A and a JSM instance B. There are projects with the same project key on instance A and B synchronized via Exalate.

Currently we are investigating to migrate all projects from B to instance A.

Our idea is to use the following migration steps:

1)create new projects on instance A for the projects from instance B manually.

2) Exalate Cleanup on current Exalate connection to generate a CSV file holding the mapping.

3) Create connection from instance B to new project on instance A and bulk exalate to transfer the issues from instance B to instance A.

4) Exalate Cleanup this connection and generate by this a second CSV file

5) Combine the two CSV files getting column1 from first CSV file and second info from second CSV file.

6) Bulk connect oldJira project to new JSM project on instance a using the combined CSV-file.

We also need to transfer the history of the issues via the exalate rules.

Is our planned step-list a valid migration scenario? Do you have any objections/caveats ?

CommentAdd your comment...

2 answers

Hi Antje,

Regarding using Exalate for migration purposes, please note that while Exalate is a synchronization solution, and therefore it can be used to copy data from one system to another - a typical migration functionality we do not entirely encourage this as the tool is not optimized for this use case.

As an alternative, we suggest using the Jira Cloud Migration assistant. Please note that while both shared documents specify that this tool works for migrations from Jira Server to Jira Cloud, the following Atlassian document confirms that Jira Service Management migrations are also supported.

If you still wish to proceed using Exalate for your migration, I believe that the steps in your description should work. Nonetheless as per the above I would rather recommend:

1. Perform the projects migration with the JCMA
      2. Do a clean up of the connections from JSM B to obtain the mapping
      3. Use this mapping to do the bulk connect.

Please let me know if you have any doubts regarding this and I will gladly assist you.

Regards,
      Ezequiel

We also want to preserve the history of the issue while migrating to a single instance.